Henderson Castle, built in 1895, is a large privately owned home located on the steep West Main hill overlooking downtown Kalamazoo, Michigan. The castle has been recently renovated and is under new ownership since August 2011 . The building is open to the public and has been since the new ownership.
The history of the home began with Frank Henderson. Mr. Henderson was one of early Kalamazoo’s most successful businessmen. He was the owner and president of Henderson-Ames Company. Henderson-Ames made uniform regalia for secret societies, fraternal organizations, and the military. Mr. Henderson’s wife, Mary, had inherited a plot of undeveloped land on the western edge of Kalamazoo before the company’s large success and Mr. Henderson dreamt of a grand suburb on this land. Allowing that dream to come to fruition, in 1888, he enlisted the help of surveyors, engineers, and landscape architects to plot the land and create Kalamazoo’s first
Send Message to listing owner